One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nountrademark in US
A hat with a high crown and a wide brim, traditionally worn by cowboys and ranchers in the US.
- ‘He looked in at us from under the wide brim of the black Stetson he wore, instantly tipping it when R. smiled that dazzling smile of hers that tends to soften the hardest heart.’
- ‘He bought me a beer and as we stood drinking, he squinted at me from beneath the brim of his Stetson.’
- ‘Hank lifted his head as two men in black and white filigreed cowboy shirts, Stetsons, bolo ties and blue jeans stepped out of a sleek silver pickup.’
- ‘Note how he has artfully curved the brim to resemble a Stetson.’
- ‘Albuquerque has stores and warehouses crammed with boots, as well as Stetsons, jeans and belts.’
Late 19th century: named after John B. Stetson (1830–1906), American hat manufacturer.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.