One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A group of 500 companies whose average daily share prices are used to calculate an index of the day's security prices.
- ‘It's a measure of risk, primarily the sensitivity of a company's stock price to an overall fluctuation in an index like the Standard & Poor's 500.’
- ‘One in four shares in the Standard & Poor's 500 index was at a 12-month low.’
- ‘An investment in the Standard & Poor's 500 - stock index grew to $161,000.’
- ‘The Standard & Poor's 500 - stock index has plunged 45% since its March 2000 high.’
- ‘His 12-month forecast calls for a 7% fall in the Standard & Poor's 500 - stock index.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.