Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1another term for Sprechgesang
- ‘He is use of Sprechstimme was strongly influenced by the cabaret style.’
- ‘He sings mostly in bellows and muffled Sprechstimme.’
- ‘The vocal writing ranges between straightforward singing, Sprechstimme, and speech, depending on the dramatic role that the music must play.’
- ‘Carefully wrought dissonances, angular folk tunes, sudden shifts in dynamics, dense layers of spectral drones, slabs of noise, topped off with Dagmar's strange, elastic Sprechstimme; these are the tools of the Bears' trade.’
- 1.1 The kind of voice used in Sprechgesang.
German, literally ‘speech voice’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.