One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Mediterranean broom with fragrant yellow flowers and almost leafless stems which were formerly used in basketry.
- ‘Beginning in the late 1930s, Spanish broom was planted along mountain highways in southern California.’
- ‘French and Spanish broom are native to the Mediterranean region and Canary Islands.’
- ‘I bought and planted the Spanish brooms last summer when I couldn't find Moonlights.’
- ‘The Spanish brooms and the lavender are two characteristic flowers in Tuscany.’
- ‘Industrially, flowers of Spanish broom are used to produce yellow pigments and with its bark a fiber is made to manufacture ropes and clothes.’
- ‘Mowing is effective in controlling Spanish broom if it is followed by herbicide application.’
- ‘As you have observed, the Spanish broom becomes quite large and is often not given a large enough planting site.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.