One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to Socrates or his philosophy.
- ‘A second feature of Socratic teaching is its intellectualism.’
- ‘A more optimistic picture reminds us of the pleasures of friendship, achievement, art, music, Socratic conversation, and discovery.’
- ‘Our mission is to light candles in the dark, as Carl Sagan so eloquently stated, and to become Socratic gadflies questioning the sacred cows of society and cultivating an appreciation for reason.’
- ‘One of the reasons that we are dealing with such dark and bleak times is because we don't have enough Socratic spirituality - we don't have enough courage to think critically.’
- ‘But in the end, when they add their knowledge together, they are quite Socratic in their realization that they know that they know nothing.’
- ‘Their model was Socrates as depicted in Plato's Socratic dialogues, where he puts questions to his interlocutors and deduces conclusions unwelcome to them from their replies.’
- ‘To put this another way, we can build learn-by-doing curricula by making teachers into Socratic tutors and creating realistic tasks for students to do.’
- ‘In semi-retirement Xenophon wrote historical narratives, Socratic texts, and miscellaneous technical and political works.’
- ‘The Stoics adapted and made their own the Socratic hypothesis that virtue is nothing else than knowledge, adding the idea that emotions are essentially irrational beliefs.’
- ‘Asking questions to get an audience to embrace your point of view is a very effective Socratic technique… if you are the presenter.’
- ‘Well, Plato described that in the collected dialogues: the principle of Socratic discovery, of Socratic hypothesis.’
- ‘We see Platonic thought and Socratic methodology still vitally evolving in today's world.’
- ‘Like the ancient Greek philosophers of the Socratic tradition, Dewey saw the interaction between teacher and pupil and between pupil and pupil as critical in the development of the learner.’
- ‘So that basically before Champollion could crack the code, he had to partake of Socratic ignorance and realise that yes, we think we know this and we think we know that, and we think we know the other about this language, but in fact we don't.’
- ‘The Academy's method of argument was, in the first instance, dialectical, like that of Socrates in Plato's Socratic dialogues.’
- ‘This mode of questioning, Socratic dialogue, is a cognitively powerful facet of the teacher's role as mentor.’
- ‘Similar to Socratic methods, in this approach students are presented with problems that can only be addressed through questioning and self-directed learning.’
- ‘You have to look at, and read, and study Plato's Socratic dialogues - not one at a time, but get the feel of all of them, and the topics they cover.’
- ‘It's not the individual action; it's the sharing of the experience of discovery, and helping one another in a kind of Socratic dialogue, to begin to really understand these things.’
- ‘Furthermore, Socratic philosophy can only be realized through question and answer, and thus the dialogue format of Plato's works allows for this philosophical realization and understanding.’
A follower of Socrates.
- ‘Lycon seems to have been an average respectable politician; the Socratics have nothing against him except that he was once the master's professed friend.’
- ‘Just as Heidegger claimed that ‘commemorating’ the philosophy of the pre - Socratics held the key to retrieving a non - objectified relation to the truth of Being, so Buber found a similar capacity in the lived reality of Hasidism.’
- ‘The most vicious of the self-styled Socratics was Critias, not only the leader of the oligarchs who seized control of Athens in 404, but a prolific writer on political-philosophical subjects.’
- ‘Such political activity was unique among pre-Socratic philosophers; among Socratics, the schools of Plato and Aristotle attempted at times to exercise political influence, but few of their members every held power directly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.