One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or denoting the branch of the Indo-European language family that includes Russian, Ukrainian, and Belorussian (East Slavic), Polish, Czech, Slovak, and Sorbian (West Slavic), and Bulgarian, Serbian, Croatian, Macedonian, and Slovene (South Slavic).
- ‘Bulgarian is a south Slavic language, closely related to Serbo-Croatian and Slovenian and more distantly to Russian.’
- ‘Macedonian is a South Slavic language in the Indo-European family whose closest relatives are Bulgarian and Serbian.’
- ‘Slovak is a member of the Western Slavic language group.’
- ‘Serbo-Croatian belongs to the Slavic branch of the Indo-European language family.’
- ‘Ukrainian is an Indo-European language of the Eastern Slavic group.’
- 1.1 Relating to or denoting the peoples of central and eastern Europe who speak any of these languages.
- ‘The first groups of Macedonian Americans tended to congregate in areas where there were other Southern Slavic populations.’
- ‘They gave impetus to the spiritual life of the Eastern Orthodox Slavic community.’
- ‘Several of the Slavic states of eastern Europe aided the refugees, while many Russians settled in Paris, Berlin, and the western hemisphere.’
- ‘The girl then continued to rave on about all the nations that were better than the Eastern European Slavic nations.’
- ‘Ancestors of the Bosnians, Slavic people of central Europe, first settled in the region that is modern Bosnia in the fifth century.’
The Slavic languages collectively.See also Slavonic
- ‘East Slavic is generally thought to converge to one Old Russian language, which existed until at least the 12th century.’
- ‘Original Yiddish was written in Hebrew letters and was a mixture of Hebrew, Slavic, and German.’
- ‘Since ancient times, very substantial strata of Latin and of Slavic and Turkish have been added to Albanian, making the older strata more difficult to analyze.’
- ‘Slavic is further divided into western and eastern subgroups.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.