Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A moldable silicone-based substance, sold chiefly as a toy, which may stretch, shatter, or bounce sharply, depending on how it is manipulated.
- ‘With over 300 million sold, it's also one of the most loved toys of all time - Silly Putty.’
- ‘He kneaded Silly Putty to strengthen his hands and wrists.’
- ‘In my lecture I tell the story of how Silly Putty was invented (a World War II experiment to create a synthetic rubber gone awry.)’
- ‘Yes, it had some snack and coffee machines, but he also added some things specifically intended to relieve stress: Silly Putty, a dartboard, a videogame, a TV, and some magazines.’
- ‘A popular product that uses a silicon-based inorganic polymer is Silly Putty.’
Silly Putty/ˈsilē ˈpədē/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.