One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of the Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, a charitable society founded in the US in 1872.
- ‘Perhaps shrinking membership in the League of Women Voters and the Shriners is offset by membership gains in the Sierra Club or the American Association of Retired Persons.’
- ‘The Shriners are very popular in the US and one needs to have the 32nd degree to join.’
- ‘It's the best part of the day: a crisp pale ale, sometimes a modest Partagas lit with my Shag-designed Zippo (it has a picture of three conjoined fez-bedecked Shriners drinking and smoking) and a book or magazine.’
- ‘Hook up with the Shriners and they'll hand you a spiffy red fez and keys to an adorable little motor vehicle.’
- ‘Give them little red fezes and it would look like a Shriners convention out there.’
- ‘Many people seem to go to church because they can get out of the house, meet people, and engage in a different kind of ritual, like Shriners riding tiny motorcycles in parades.’
- ‘We called the police and had to follow the Shriners / perpetrators down the street, as they were trying to escape dealing with law enforcement.’
- ‘Not all of these 604 hospitals are Catholic; many are Baptist, Methodist, Shriner, Jewish, etc.’
- ‘In this drop-ceiling convention room, stacking chairs and folding banquet tables on a stage where so many Shriners have auctioned fruit cakes for burn victims.’
- ‘There are also several Masonic affiliated organizations, including the Shriners, which extend the social and charitable work of the Freemasons.’
- ‘Meanwhile, two lanes of left-turning vehicles execute a crisscross pattern that would make a Shriner on a tiny motorcycle proud.’
- ‘Fernandina Beach's Centre Street will be the site of a parade at 11 a.m. tomorrow featuring the Shriners.’
- ‘He looks like a Shriner at a convention center and I almost don't want to show you because the minute I start looking I laugh hysterically.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.