One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A period of seven days' formal mourning for the dead, beginning immediately after the funeral.‘she went to her sister's funeral and sat shiva’
grief, grieving, sorrowing, lamentation, lament, keening, wailing, weepingView synonyms
- ‘The shiva was the worst period, the shloshim was very hard, and this stage is bad.’
- ‘After shiva, my wife went to shul every day to say Kaddish.’
- ‘A death is followed by a mourning period of seven days, a process called sitting shiva, during which friends and relatives pay visits to the family of the deceased and bring food.’
- ‘My husband and I immediately decided to invite her to sit shiva in our home.’
- ‘Upon hearing the news, the families began sitting shiva, the Jewish mourning ritual.’
From Hebrew šiḇ‘āh ‘seven’.
(in Indian religion) a god associated with the powers of reproduction and dissolution.
From Sanskrit Śiva, literally ‘the auspicious one’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.