One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The female principle of divine energy, especially when personified as the supreme deity.
- ‘Saktas refer to the Supreme as Sakti, Smartas call the Supreme Being Brahman, and to Vaishnavas He is Vishnu.’
- ‘Smartas worship the Supreme in one of six forms: Ganesha, Siva, Sakti, Vishnu, Surya and Skanda.’
- ‘The very first tale tells us that the active force behind creation was Parvati's Shakti rather than Siva's power.’
- ‘Vishnu, Brahma and Shiva were invoked - then Shakti (the feminine principle) took over, in her Parvati, Mahalakshmi, Saraswati, and Kali aspects.’
- ‘In the Smarta sect, Surya is worshiped as a major Deity, along with Ganesha, Vishnu, Siva, Sakti and Skanda.’
From Sanskrit śakti ‘power, divine energy’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.