A barbiturate drug used as a sedative and hypnotic.
- ‘Devastated, Auden increased his intake of Benzedrine and Seconal to help him sleep.’
- ‘The inquest heard Dr Iqbal first prescribed the barbiturate Seconal for the princess in July 1999 after another patient told him she needed the drugs.’
- ‘If the patient is using Seconal, it's either mixed in water to create a bitter drink or stirred into pudding or applesauce to hide the taste.’
- ‘Raving, starving herself, addicted to Seconal and Dexedrine, Tippy makes a dramatic transformation from beautiful to mean.’
- ‘However, even Seconal did not work and he tended to drink his way into unconsciousness.’
1930s: blend of secondary and allyl.