One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a group of mainly nomadic peoples of northern Siberia, who traditionally live as reindeer herders.
- ‘The Samoyed is Spitz-type which takes its name from the Siberian tribe of the Samoyeds.’
- ‘One myth - again judging from such peoples as the Samoyeds and Buryats - would seem to have been an earth-diver creation in which an animal is sent by the creator to find an earthly substance in the depths of the primal waters.’
- ‘Thousands of years ago the ancestors of both the present Finno-Ugrians and the Samoyeds lived together in their Uralic homeland.’
2Any of several Samoyedic (Uralic) languages of the Samoyeds.
- ‘One tribe, the Kamasin, spoke Samoyed until the middle of the last century.’
- 2.1another term for Samoyedic
- ‘The north European tundra is populated by several related peoples speaking Samoyedic languages.’
- ‘The Finno-Ugric and Samoyed languages split more than 6,000 years ago.’
3A dog of a white Arctic breed.
- ‘Candidates include the Ibizan Hound, Pharoah Hound, Samoyed, Saluki, and Maltese.’
- ‘Jill, of Edgware, Middlesex, whose white Samoyed called Bella died of MRSA last year, has launched a campaign to stop other pets contracting the bug.’
- ‘And though her 13-year-old Samoyed does frequent the office, this clutter is actually part of her charitable giving program.’
- ‘For a white dog, the Samoyed stays amazingly clean, but an occasional bath is necessary.’
- ‘To top this off we had delicious pies and smoothies halfway along and were greeted by my favourite dog, the Samoyed, which I got to stroke.’
- ‘These early northern dogs included hunters and herders like the Samoyed and the Norwegian elkhound, and smaller companion dogs that served as guardians of home and hearth, sounding the alarm when danger approached.’
- ‘The Samoyed is a snow dog and loves the outdoors.’
- ‘Meanwhile, Nigel's other pets, Little Joe, a nine-year-old Samoyed dog and Marley, a 13-year-old cat, are pining for their friend.’
- ‘It came from the west, and the sled carried a bulky man, 18 Samoyeds, and a large parcel of whale oil and furs.’
- ‘They said she was part Samoyed, but I couldn't see it.’
- ‘Stefanie, nine, and her brother Alex, seven, spent all morning getting Rosie, a stunning white-haired Samoyed, ready for the prettiest class.’
- ‘Reindeer usually pulled the sleds these nomadic people constantly employed in search of the scarce lichen and moss that fed the animals, but Samoyeds were also used in this capacity on occasion.’
- ‘And as for the dogs, three different breeds compete in Scotland, and were in evidence at Aviemore: Siberian huskies, the lean sprinters; Samoyeds, large, white and fluffy; and Malamutes, the heavier freight dogs.’
- ‘More specifically again, there are three types: Siberian huskies, Alaskan malamute and Russian Samoyed.’
- ‘Clipping a Samoyed can cost £32 because of the thick, double coat.’
- ‘There are five types of dog taking part: Siberian Huskies, Alaskan Malamutes, Samoyeds and Greenland Dogs and Canadian Eskimo Dogs.’
From Russian samoed.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.