Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The heart of Christ, especially as represented in an image and regarded as an object of devotion among Roman Catholics.
- ‘In her heart she had a special affection for the Sacred Heart and always looked forward to the Sacred Heart novenas.’
- ‘This is why most images show the Sacred Heart surmounted by a cross and surrounded by thorns.’
- ‘This will be a public Novena, a wonderful opportunity for devotion to the Sacred Heart.’
- ‘It is the first thing that the outsider feels in a Pieta or a shrine of the Sacred Heart.’
- ‘Painted icons came down and painted-plaster statues of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary went up.’
- ‘When these sermons on the Sacred Heart were read in the convent, the nuns got the message.’
- ‘He pointed to the decline in devotion to the Sacred Heart which underpinned the whole pioneer movement.’
- ‘It is to make atonement to the most Sacred Heart for all the sins of the world and to implore His grace and mercy for every family in the parish.’
- ‘In June 1899, on the eve of the Feast of the Sacred Heart, the marks of Christ's wounds appeared on her hands.’
Sacred Heart/ˈsākrid härt/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.