One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A building containing a complex of rooms designed for bathing, relaxing, and socializing, as used in ancient Rome.
- ‘This system of heating was also used to keep some Roman baths hot if they had no access to naturally heated water.’
- ‘Guests enjoy a wealth of amenities, and the hotel features an on-site spa, evocative of a contemporary Roman bath.’
- ‘It had a living room, a small dining room, as well as a huge bathroom that looked like a Roman bath.’
- ‘In fact, archaeologists have found bathroom graffiti on the walls of Roman baths dating back at least 3000 years.’
- ‘The Roman baths were abandoned in the C5 and, except for a mention in an Anglo-Saxon poem entitled The Ruin, were forgotten until the C18.’
- ‘The pool was inspired by the architecture of Roman baths and has a vaulted ceiling, full of round skylights that allow beams of sunlight to pierce the water.’
- ‘Bath in Somerset, contains one of the best examples of a Roman bath complex in Europe.’
- ‘Finds from the Roman bath excavations are displayed in their original setting.’
- ‘The city is named for its magnificent Roman baths, which are reputed to have the power to heal the sick.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.