Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Canada) a member of a political group who, while maintaining some conservative principles, supports many liberal and socialist policies.
- ‘Whether you're NDP, Liberal, Green, a Red Tory, or an unaligned blogger with a progressive vision of Canada, you're welcome to join this group.’
- ‘On the contrary, said Clark, the new party is dominated by former Canadian Alliance hard-liners, while most Red Tories from the former Progressive Conservatives have been relegated to the sidelines.’
- ‘On social issues, too, there is no enormous divide between right-leaning Liberals and Red Tories.’
- ‘The term ‘place’ as defended by both Red Tories and environmentalists has some limitations I want to clarify by distinguishing the term ‘place’ from ‘locality.’’
- ‘Historically, Red Tories have stood strongest for Canadian sovereignty.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.