One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1informal Rest and recreation.
recreation, enjoyment, amusement, entertainment, diversion, distraction, fun, pleasure, rest, refreshment, relief, respite, leisure, leisure activity, leisure pursuitView synonyms
- ‘For his R & R he was asked if he wanted to go to Thailand.’
- ‘NBA training camps open with the Lakers back in Honolulu, where Kobe Bryant's teammates will get plenty of R & R between practices because no one will recognize them.’
- ‘I'd come to London's Berkeley hotel for a bit of R & R.’
- ‘He had decided to take a vacation and get some R & R at his house in Pallet Town.’
- ‘What was supposed to be a leisurely year of R & R quickly turned dramatic.’
- ‘The crew stops at a commerce station for a little R & R and to purchase some essential supplies.’
- ‘I've had a long morning and could use some R & R.’
- ‘TT caught up with Cindy Hicks and Aaron Howell from southern England getting some R & R at the Bay Gardens Hotel.’
- ‘The seventies were when the tourist boom had just started in Pattaya with the troops on R & R from Vietnam.’
- ‘Many military personnel will also take their R & R in Pattaya and the surrounding environs, bringing in a much-needed infusion of tourist business.’
- ‘After surviving a bus fiasco with her ex-boyfriend, Annie's got a new love interest in Alex Shaw and they've decided to snag a cruise to the Caribbean for a little R & R.’
Rescue and resuscitation.
- ‘Anyway, in order to follow my own prescription for R & R, I am in the country as I type, enjoying a relaxing day off.’
- ‘I'd asked the doctors about it, back when it had bothered me; they'd prescribed R & R, which had done nothing.’
3Rock and roll.
- ‘Pepper however took rock music to the next plane, drawing from R'n'R and R&B, from Dylan and the poets, from thoughts and music from India.’
- ‘Frankly, it's not the best known or, indeed, the best musical around but the R & R rose to the challenge.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.