One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The philosophy of Pyrrho.
- ‘The great subverter of Pyrrhonism or the excessive principles of scepticism is action, and employment, and the occupations of common life.’
- ‘According to Pyrrhonism, there are no finite truths in the world.’
- ‘Sextus is a key source of our knowledge of Pyrrhonism and is also said to have been a physician.’
- ‘The Greeks, however, found no problem in interpreting Pyrrhonism in Greek terms.’
- ‘Rather than accepting life and its givens at face value, he refers to his Pyrrhonism, or skepticism, about the ways of the world.’
- 1.1 Philosophic doubt; skepticism.
doubt, doubtfulness, dubiousness, a pinch of salt, lack of convictionView synonyms
- ‘Bayle's Pyrrhonism attacked the concepts of space, morality and rational theology as well.’
- ‘Instead, Hume recommends a more moderate or Academic scepticism that tempers Pyrrhonism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.