1Relating to or denoting the earliest eon, preceding the Cambrian period and the Phanerozoic eon.Compare with Cryptozoic
- ‘Turquoise here was found as vein fillings and nodules in weathered Precambrian granite.’
- ‘Plenty of suitable sedimentary deposits exist within the late Precambrian and Cambrian strata.’
- ‘By the early years of the twentieth century, as the geology of the continents began to be better known, it was realized that Permian and Precambrian glacial deposits occur virtually on all continents and at low latitudes.’
- ‘It extends upwards from a depth of about 6 km, at which depth Precambrian crystalline basement is predicted from seismic refraction studies.’
- ‘The crest of the Blue Ridge is usually underlain with Precambrian or Cambrian igneous rocks.’
- 1.1The Precambrian eon or the system of rocks deposited during it.