A federal statute prohibiting use of the military in civilian law enforcement.
- ‘The DOD, however, claimed to base its policy upon the Posse Comitatus Act.’
- ‘The Democrats made absolutely no mention of the Posse Comitatus Act.’
- ‘In many respects, the Posse Comitatus Act remained invisible for the first several decades of the 20th century.’
- ‘Clearly, the Posse Comitatus Act did not originate from the prevailing opinion during the revolutionary period.’
- ‘Legal barriers to sending the armed forces into U.S. streets have existed for more than a century under the Posse Comitatus Act.’
Latin posse comitatus power of the county.