Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of an American Indian people of northern California.
- ‘At least one tribe, the Pomo, decorated their baskets with local seashells and feathers.’
- ‘Her grandparents lived in a complex biocultural mosaic, from the Alutiq and Tlingt to the north to the Pomo and Wappo to the south.’
- ‘Rohnert Park residents recently used that false complaint against the 600 Miwoks and Pomos of the Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria, who are trying to build a casino just outside the city.’
2Any of the languages of the Pomo.
- ‘This seems to be the interpretative strategy which is actually at work in Eastern Pomo, Lenakel, and Amele, as mentioned above.’
- ‘On the other hand, the use of DS markers to register the same subject has been reported for Choctaw, Northern Pomo, and Yuma.’
Relating to the Pomo or their languages.
- ‘Watch for the glint of an obsidian arrowhead, a reminder that Pomo Indians once lived and hunted here.’
- ‘The area was originally home to Pomo and Miwok Indians, with the river as a border between territories.’
- ‘Lawmakers can now put off until December or January consideration of the deal with the Lytton Band of Pomo Indians that would have allowed 2,500 slot machines at the proposed San Pablo casino.’
- ‘She said that she was incarcerated because she was addicted to alcohol and drugs, because she was a survivor of domestic violence and incest and for being a Pomo and Yokuts woman.’
- ‘Two hundred years ago this country supported huge grizzlies, Tule elk, and Wappo and Pomo Indians - all driven out by the Spanish missionaries and ranchers and their Anglo successors in the mid-19th century.’
From Northern Pomo phōmō phóʔmaʔ, literally dweller at the red earth hole.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.