Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A solid transparent plastic made of polymethyl methacrylate (the same material as perspex or Lucite)
- ‘The door to the small plexiglas room was opened.’
- ‘Although resembling a stone structure from the outside, from the interior the pyramid is seen to be constructed of translucent plexiglas panels over a wood framework.’
- ‘Special earplugs, plexiglas screens, and alternate seating arrangements are among the possible solutions.’
- ‘The abstract plexiglas etchings are composed of straight-edged shapes.’
- ‘Investigators have analyzed videos of vampire bats charging down plexiglas runways, and learned that they have evolved a novel running gait.’
1930s: from Greek plēxis percussion + glass.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.