1Relating to or denoting the first epoch of the Quaternary period, between the Pliocene and Holocene epochs.
- ‘First, no haplotypes are shared between Holocene and Pleistocene spotted hyenas.’
- ‘In Japan, decapods associated with coral reef deposits were described in Miocene and Pliocene and Pleistocene rocks.’
- ‘In general, species richness in the Miocene and Pliocene was high whereas Pleistocene and Recent diversity is very low.’
- ‘What is most difficult in tectonic geomorphological studies is to establish the late Pleistocene - Holocene chronology.’
- ‘It strongly supports Pliocene and Pleistocene australopithecines being ancestral not to humans but to modern African pongids.’
- 1.1The Pleistocene epoch or the system of deposits laid down during it.
Mid 19th century: from Greek pleistos most + kainos new.