Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
One of five regular solids (a tetrahedron, cube, octahedron, dodecahedron, or icosahedron)
- ‘Kepler connected the planetary orbits with the five regular polyhedra, or Platonic solids.’
- ‘The fifth Platonic solid, the dodecahedron, is Plato's model for the whole universe.’
- ‘The final book studies the five Platonic solids as well as the semi-regular Archimedean solids.’
- ‘His geometrical inclinations led him to propose that these particles had regular, mathematical shapes: the polyhedra called regular Platonic solids.’
- ‘If each face is an equilateral triangle, the result is a regular tetrahedron, one of the five Platonic solids.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.