One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The standard system of romanized spelling for transliterating Chinese.
- ‘The use of Pinyin poses problems of distinguishing homographs, as in the 24 etymologically unrelated forms spelt lian.’
- ‘As far as I know, President Chen Shui-bian supports Hanyu Pinyin.’
- ‘The transliteration used is the standard Pinyin as formally adopted by China in 1979.’
- ‘A good example is the word ‘gold’ which is ‘kim’ in Korean, ‘kin’ in Taiwanese-Hokkien and ‘jin’ in Pinyin.’
- ‘Folk transcriptions of Chinese by English speakers tend to be like Pinyin in this respect.’
1960s: from Chinese pīn-yīn, literally ‘spell-sound’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.