Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A lager beer with a strong hop flavor, originally brewed at Pilsen in Bohemia (now the Czech Republic), and traditionally served in a tall glass tapered at the bottom.→ Pils
- ‘In addition to its own brewed beers, the Porterhouse says it also stocks the widest selection of beers in the country, including Pilsner lagers from Bohemia, wheat beers from Bavaria and Trappist monks' brews from Belgium.’
- ‘After all, we are in wine country and Bohemia is home to the original Budweiser and Pilsner beers.’
- ‘Magnificent gothic cathedrals and baroque palaces vie for your attention, and when you need to take a break from seeing the sights, art nouveau cafes compete with modern espresso bars and many pubs selling the famous local Pilsner beer.’
- ‘The Pilsner is great in the summer and if you're still thirsty, how about an Emerson's Bookbinder or Limburg's Hopsmacker?’
- ‘Place two scoops of ice cream into a Pilsner glass.’
- ‘I asked Clive, after he related Clarissa's cutting tale over al fresco Pilsner at a riverside pub.’
- ‘Holsten brews two examples of bocks: a Festbock (seven per cent), which is darker, and the Maibock (seven per cent), which is more the colour of the classic Pilsner.’
- ‘It was dumplings, cabbage, pork, bohemian garlic soup, and of course, Pilsner beer.’
- ‘Like many great European cities, Stockholm has a vibrant café culture where the residents indulge their love of cold Pilsner and pickled herrings.’
- ‘Probably the most widely known in America, Pilsner is a light low fermentation beer with a taste ranging from neutral to bitter.’
- ‘Pilsener Urquell - ‘Pilsener’ (or ‘Pilsner’) is perhaps the most abused term in the beer world.’
- ‘These come in variety of shapes such as Weiss, Pilsner / Lager, Kriek, Alt, Ale and Abbey.’
- ‘Most of the world's best-known beers - Budweiser, Heineken, Corona, Pilsner Urquell, Stella Artois, Beck's - are lager beers.’
- ‘Just as a Pilsener beer comes from Pilsen and a Frankfurter sausage from Frankfurt, a Budweiser beer comes from the Czech town of Ceske Budejovice, known as Budweis when the country was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.’
- ‘Get up for lunch and a beer, Emerson's organic Pilsner, with sandwiches made from freshly baked white bread and straight-from-the-garden lettuce, radishes and tomatoes.’
- ‘He was a legendary character owing to his brilliant and witty articles, his immense capacity for downing steins of Pilsner and his discursive conversation.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.