One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A US short-range surface-to-surface ballistic missile, capable of carrying a nuclear or conventional warhead.
- ‘But one NATO source judged it the most serious row since the US Pershing cruise missile deployment in Europe in the 1980s.’
- ‘In fact, the deployment of the Pershings helped end the Cold War.’
- ‘Cruise missiles and Pershing 2 ballistic missiles would have to be deployed to militarily and politically counter the 200-plus Soviet SS-20s.’
- ‘He deployed Pershing and cruise missiles in Europe.’
- ‘In response, he embarked on a huge programme of military rearmament, which included the deployment of Pershing nuclear missiles.’
1950s: named after John J. Pershing (1860–1948), American general.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.