Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An order of mammals that comprises the odd-toed ungulates.Compare with Artiodactyla
- ‘‘Odd-toed’ or ‘odd-hoofed’ mammals make up the Perissodactyla.’
- ‘Artiodactyls stand in contrast to the ‘odd-toed ungulates,’ the Perissodactyla, in which the plane of symmetry runs down the third toe.’
- ‘Some later authors have favored placement of Cetacea closer to Perissodactyla among living orders.’
- ‘However, it is noted that horses, an outgroup species from the order Perissodactyla, are also classified with pigs and camels.’
- ‘With these 11 taxa, it was possible to score support for the benchmark clades Carnivora, Cetartiodactyla, and Perissodactyla.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek perissos ‘uneven’ + daktulos ‘finger, toe’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.