Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A system of memory training originally devised by the Pelman Institute for the Scientific Development of Mind, Memory, and Personality in London in the 1920s.
- ‘There were lots of self-educating books, home encyclopedias, home university courses, Pelmanism manuals, self-improvement tracts - volumes that were all in the grand, glass-fronted bookcase.’
- ‘Pelmanism can train your mental faculties and help you to have a stronger memory.’
- ‘To thousands Pelmanism has been the means of greater success in life.’
- ‘I practised yoga and took postal courses in self-improvement and hypnotism, which I think was called Pelmanism.’
- 1.1A game based on memorizing cards or other objects placed before the players.
- ‘Pelmanism is the classic game of memory and concentration.’
- ‘Pelmanism is a term for the children's game of ‘Pairs’.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.