Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of a North American Indian people inhabiting parts of eastern Maine and, formerly, southwestern New Brunswick.
- ‘He was an ethnologist and he recorded all of these songs and tales of the Passamaquoddy Indians.’
- ‘But both the Atlantic Policy Congress and Akagi say the St. Croix Scoodic band of the Passamaquoddy in Canada never ceded its traditional territory throughout 200 years of continuous encroachment by the province and town.’
- ‘Representatives of Maine's Penobscot and Passamaquoddy Indians, who assisted the Maliseets in their negotiations with the state, attended the ceremony.’
2The Algonquian language of the Passamaquoddy.
Relating to the Passamaquoddy or their language.
- ‘Akagi, whose mother was ‘half Native ‘and his father Japanese, said that although there supposedly are no Passamaquoddy people in St. Andrews, the town nonetheless did not charge his family property tax when his mother was alive.’’
- ‘The town and the federal government maintain there is no Passamaquoddy band in Canada.’
- ‘Later, at a senior's hall in nearby Mace's Bay, we discussed CBM efforts in local scallop management and met with Hugh Akagi, Chief of the Passamaquoddy First Nation.’
- ‘The Passamaquoddy and Penobscot tribes send to the Maine legislature a representative who is permitted to speak only on matters connected with the affairs of the Indian reservations.’
- ‘The issue of whether non-status persons of Mi'kmaq, Maliseet, and Passamaquoddy ancestry are entitled to treaty rights affirmed by Marshall must be resolved;’
From Passamaquoddy pestəmokhatíyək, place where pollack are plentiful referring to Passamaquoddy Bay.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.