One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Of, concerning, or representing all people of Greek origin or ancestry.
- ‘Victors at the Olympic games enjoyed a renown unmatched in the ancient Greek world: it was the most prestigious of the Panhellenic games.’
- ‘Herakles' twelve labors are set in both Peloponnesian and distant locales, choices suited to a Panhellenic sanctuary, the site of Panhellenic games, and visitors and votives from all over Greece.’
- ‘In the 6th century, the Pythian games were established as a Panhellenic festival.’
- ‘Moreover, scholars suggest that the foundation or reorganization of previously existing Panhellenic games in the sixth century B.C. was a response to the development of hoplite warfare and the need for trained bodies.’
- ‘The theoroi of each polis conducted ritual acts in the Panhellenic sanctuaries in the name of that polis.’
- ‘The huge Panhellenic festivals held at Olympia, Delphi, Nemea, and Isthmia attracted spectators and professional contestants from throughout the Greek world.’
- ‘The final settlement of Greece involved a difficult war against the Spartan ruler Nabis, nominally as head of an almost Panhellenic alliance.’
- ‘For Plato, Aristotle, and the Greeks of their time, history begins with the conflict between Greece and Troy, a ‘splendid Panhellenic expedition against an Eastern foe, led by kings.’’
- 1.1 Relating to, advocating, or denoting the idea of a political union of all Greeks.
- 1.2 Of, concerning, or representing all college fraternities and sororities.
- ‘Zeta Tau Alpha is the third largest National Panhellenic Group with over 187000 initiated members and 237 chapters.’
- ‘She also confirmed the dates for Destination Iowa State in August, inquired at the Panhellenic booth and registered as a student parishioner with a local church.’
- ‘While joining a hometown Panhellenic group is helpful, it is not a prerequisite to participating in recruitment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.