1Relating to or denoting a zoogeographical region comprising Eurasia north of the Himalayas, together with North Africa and the temperate part of the Arabian peninsula. The fauna is closely related to that of the Nearctic region.Compare with holarctic
- ‘Lobesia botrana is a major vine pest in the Palaearctic region.’
- ‘Distribution is widespread, and microhylids are found throughout most tropical and temperate regions except for the Palaearctic, most of Australia, the West Indies, and most Oceanic islands.’
- ‘The Great Reed Warbler breeds in reed beds of eutrophic lakes and marshes over much of the Palearctic temperate region.’
- ‘House martins breed over a vast area of the Palearctic region from the Atlantic towards the Pacific and as far north as arctic Scandinavia.’
- ‘Manv similarities exist between Nearctic and Palearctic goose populations, but there are also many differences.’
- 1.1The Palearctic region.