One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A South American cichlid fish with velvety brown young and multicolored adults, popular in aquariums.
Astronotus ocellatus, family Cichlidae. Alternative name: velvet cichlid
- ‘Examples include the oscar, Jack Dempsey, jewelfish, convict cichlid, Midas cichlid, and spotted tilapia; and livebearers, such as swordtails, platies and mollies, and armored catfishes.’
- ‘I'm aware that plenty of aquarium fish can live much longer than six years, like oscars, pacus, arowanas, etc, but I've never found anything about tetra or other small characoid lifespans.’
- ‘Information on how to keep and breed oscar fish in aquariums.’
- ‘The barbasco oozed a milky-white colloid that, after about 20 minutes, brought several dozen catfish, oscars, and killifish to the surface - not dead, but in a dull stupor.’
- ‘Feeding as you would expect is no problem as oscars will take all types of food.’
nountrademark in US
1The nickname for one of the golden statuettes given as an Academy Award.
- ‘Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins did not deserve their Oscars either.’
- ‘The film won two Oscars, six Golden Globes and four BAFTA awards.’
- ‘Winners of the first supporting acting Oscars originally were not given actual Oscar statuettes, but rather Academy Award plaques.’
- ‘Then he started doing movies with Ron Howard and Steven Spielberg and then the Oscars started coming.’
- ‘She started dancing at two and went on to win several Oscars, Golden Globes and Emmys.’
- ‘He now has a grand total of 40 movie scores and four Emmy awards, a Tony and three Golden Globe awards to go with his three Oscars.’
- ‘After all, expectations would be high after garnering all 5 of the big Oscars from his last film.’
- ‘And without Native Americans, who would accept Oscars for Marlon Brando?’
- ‘The cinematography won't win any Oscars, but the DVD certainly does deliver some impressive visuals.’
- ‘The film isn't going to win any Oscars any time soon, but by God it's a great comic book movie.’
- ‘With two Oscars and several Golden Globe awards under his belt, he has also made a name, for himself as a major producer.’
- ‘The only two indie films to be given Oscars this year were Iris and No Man's Land.’
- ‘Titanic, which both won those same two Oscars for James Cameron, wasn't even nominated for its screenplay or its actors, and won neither actress award.’
- ‘The film was nominated for 6 Oscars, including another Best Actress for Hepburn, but only won for the glorious costumes of Edith Head.’
- ‘It became the highest grossing film of all time within two months, and every cast member including the dog won Oscars at the Academy Awards.’
- ‘We would like to note, however, that both Marisa Tomei and Eminem have won more Oscars than Martin Scorsese.’
- ‘Perhaps this is why she is dismissive when her performance is talked about in terms of Golden Globes, Oscars and Baftas.’
- ‘It is a major contender for the Golden Globes and the Oscars.’
- ‘Czechoslovak films picked up Oscars for Best Foreign Films in both 1965 and 1966.’
- ‘The Oscars the film did win were for Best Picture, Best Director, and for Music, Sound, and Film Editing.’
- 1.1the Oscars The annual presentation of the Academy Awards.
- ‘The greatest among the travesties at this year's Oscars was Roger Deakins not winning for best cinematography.’
- ‘The floor had a beautiful red carpet, which was actually better looking than the one they use in the Oscars or in the academy awards when stars arrive.’
- ‘Duke's designs have adorned numerous actresses at the Oscars and Golden Globes over the past 15 years.’
- ‘All were robbed of their golden statuettes at the 1999 Oscars, but recompensed by Mingella's fascinating director's commentary provided on this DVD.’
- ‘But the movie is Ejiofor's, and the English-Nigerian actor should keep next February clear for the Oscars.’
- ‘The English Patient stormed the Oscars in 1997, winning nine of the twelve Academy Awards for which it was nominated.’
- ‘At this year's Oscars, Moore, Almodovar, and others reduced the reduction and succeeded in keeping the world, or at least part of it, awake.’
- ‘It even lost at the MTV Movie Awards to the film that bested it at the Oscars: The Matrix.’
- ‘Or it could be the extra thumb on the scale that puts Scorsese into the Best Director race at the Oscars.’
- ‘Brokeback Mountain has also been hailed by critics in Boston, making it a strong contender at the Oscars and a major favourite to scoop plenty of Golden Globe nominations when they are announced this week.’
- ‘Certainly at the Oscars and Golden Globes you practically have to buy your awards.’
- ‘I mean, if we just look at the Oscars: Last year's win?’
- ‘The big dark genre event of the 1994 Oscars was Martin Landau's Best Supporting Actor Oscar for playing Bela Lugosi in Ed Wood.’
- ‘This Scandinavian film won the best foreign language film at the Oscars in 1987.’
- ‘Richie Roeper predicted that the film will not be nominated for Best Picture at next year's Oscars and that Gibson will not be nominated for Best Director.’
- ‘It's not the greatest doc of all time, though I would say that a cinematography nomination at next year's Oscars should not be out of the question.’
- ‘At least one reason so many people watch major award shows like the Golden Globes and the Oscars is to see what the stars are wearing.’
- ‘Did the film's failure at the box office and at the Oscars and even in most critics groups make me right?’
- ‘She also thanked the public for their support and took a swipe at more traditional awards ceremonies, despite being considered a favourite for success at both the Oscars and the Golden Globes.’
- ‘From one side of our mouths, we rage about unfairness at the Oscars and promote the event as though the group of voters deserves a level of respect above and beyond all other moviegoers.’
One of the several speculative stories of its origin claims that the statuette reminded Margaret Herrick, an executive director of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, of her uncle Oscar.
A code word representing the letter O, used in radio communication.
- ‘Instead, the NATO alphabet assigns code words to the letters of the English .... Golf Hotel India Juliett Kilo Lima Metro Nectar Oscar Papa Quebec Romeo etc.’
cash, hard cash, ready moneyView synonyms
- ‘I can do with the oscar, but I don't know if I can draw any more photos.’
Early 20th century: from the name Oscar Asche (1871–1936), Australian actor, used as rhyming slang for ‘cash’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.