Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A group of mollusks that includes the sea slugs and sea hares. They have a small or absent shell and are typically brightly colored with conspicuous external gills.
- ‘In the traditional classification system, the class Gastropoda has been divided into three subclasses, Prosobranchia, Pulmonata, and Opisthobranchia.’
- ‘In fact, as with the Opisthobranchia, shell reduction has occurred independently a number of times in different lineages.’
- ‘However, as with Tritonia, many other members of the subclass Opisthobranchia also exhibit swimming behavior.’
- ‘The differences in protoconch shape may prove insufficient to differentiate Allogastropoda and shell-bearing Opisthobranchia.’
- ‘The latter group includes radically modified animals, the Opisthobranchia and Pulmonata, which undergo detorsion and essentially re-evolve bilateral symmetry.’
Modern Latin (plural), from opistho- to the rear + brankhia gills.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.