Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An order of predatory insects that comprises the dragonflies and damselflies. They have long slender bodies, two pairs of membranous wings, large compound eyes, and aquatic larvae.
- ‘The Odonata appeared for the first time in the Permian.’
- ‘We have already noted that several species of Odonata respond to long photoperiods in spring by accelerating development.’
- ‘Associated fossils include other disarticulated insect remains such as Diptera (true flies) and Odonata (dragonflies).’
- ‘In contrast to YOY perch, predator-sensitive prey in the diet were dominated by Trichoptera, Odonata, and Coleoptera larvae.’
- ‘Two Episodes in the seasonal regulation of Odonata can be distinguished.’
- 1.1Insects of the order "Odonata"; dragonflies and damselflies.
- ‘Hence, dominance is synonymous for resource holding potential, a term more commonly used in previous studies on odonata.’
Modern Latin (plural), formed irregularly from Greek odōn (variant of odous) tooth with reference to the insect's mandibles.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.