One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural ods, Plural Ods, Plural ODshistorical
A hypothetical power once thought to pervade nature and account for various phenomena, such as magnetism.
Mid 19th century: arbitrary term coined in German by Baron von Reichenbach (1788–1869), German scientist.
nounPlural ods, Plural Ods, Plural ODs
An archaic euphemism for God, used in exclamations.‘Od damn it all!’
1Take an overdose of a drug.‘Spike had OD'd on barbiturates’
- ‘The first time I OD'd, I think it really hit me that this is really not that fun, you know.’
- ‘He would find no wounds, no blood, nor any signs that the man had OD'd.’
- ‘However, some believe he had gotten into his girlfriend's heroin and OD'd.’
- ‘Last year they airlifted some kid out of Enchanted 2003, his respiratory system had shut down after OD'ing on Eccys.’
- ‘Then his nephew nearly OD's on meth, allowing the brutal vengeance to begin.’
- ‘But good for him: he OD'd on a drug that hasn't really hit mainstream awareness yet.’
- ‘When she was just seven years old her daddy OD'd.’
- ‘When they found her, she couldn't tell them whether she had deliberately or accidentally OD'd.’
- ‘‘Lisa with all the meds you keep shoving down my throat I'm surprised I haven't OD'd,’ he teased.’
- ‘To help keep you right, we've fixed up four high-protein dinners that are perfect for days when you've OD'd on carbohydrates.’
- 1.1humorous Have too much of something.‘I almost OD'd on mushroom salad’
- ‘And that was the problem - eventually I OD'd on big views.’
- ‘Today we all slept late and then went to a churrascaria and OD'd on meat.’
- ‘Not one performance failed to give me some fresh insight into a composer I thought I had OD'd on long ago.’
- ‘If CEO perks were pills, Snow would have OD'd a long time ago.’
- ‘I'm going to have to lower my standards big time if I want to be able to get through it without OD'ing due to stress over failure.’
nounPlural ods, Plural Ods, Plural ODsinformal
An overdose of a narcotic drug.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.