One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An acute infectious viral fever affecting birds, especially poultry.Also called fowl pest
- ‘The United Kingdom in effect banned poultrymeat imports from most other Member States, justifying this on the ground that it was necessary to protect public health, by preventing the spread of Newcastle disease that affected poultry.’
- ‘Further, there have been several outbreaks of virulent Newcastle disease (which affects chickens and, potentially, native parrots) in Australia in recent years.’
- ‘The last thing poultry producers want their flocks hit with is exotic Newcastle disease, a contagious and fatal viral disease affecting most species of birds.’
- ‘Paramoxyviruses are other viruses found in birds that can result in Newcastle disease outbreaks in poultry,’ says Suarez.’
- ‘Bird flu and Newcastle disease are notifiable diseases and must be reported to your local Divisional Veterinary Manager.’
1920s: so named because it was first recorded near Newcastle upon Tyne in 1927.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.