Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to the Roman sea god Neptune or to the sea.
- ‘Mozart has constructed the role and the arias of Ilia - the captive, the lover - in such a way as to make her love appear as the principal antagonist to the dark Neptunian power.’
- ‘Organising Neptunian fantasies into some sort of workable order sounds like a Herculean assignment - but the most awesome results can be achieved with the right kind of help.’
2Relating to the planet Neptune.
- ‘While Mercury moves into the sign of runaway tongues, Pisces exaggerates Neptunian tendencies to moodiness and paranoia - an astromix which inclines some people to be extra-sensitive and others totally tactless.’
- ‘The world of illusion is Neptunian and, maybe for this reason, its nature is elusive and difficult to define. Neptune's discovery also coincided with advancement in the world of pharmaceuticals.’
- ‘Give this week's people the wisdom of your Neptunian intuition, insight and inspiration - get busy sparking hearts, lifting spirits and stimulating those Fishy visions!’
- ‘Currently Rummy is under a heavy Neptunian influence and may need to be sedated before his delusions of grandeur encompass the whole planet!.’
- ‘Since 1950, Neptune has been seen as the guiding spirit of the counterculture; if anyone were to draw a Neptunian type now it would undoubtedly appear less spiritually superior and more ‘dopey’ in every sense.’
- ‘Even with the amount of Neptunian deception, confusion and media spin increasing with Mars in Pisces, we need to stay aligned with an ultimate spiritual presence.’
- ‘Some measure little more than half a mile across, and the newest discovery, a Neptunian moon, is almost 3 billion miles from Earth.’
- ‘There are only three other places in the Solar System that definitely have volcanic activity: Venus, Earth and the Neptunian moon, Triton.’
- ‘As to your signs, I think you have strong Neptunian influences in the chart, cause from my experience, people with such influences are very sensible.’
- ‘The Plutonian and Neptunian population are not content about this.’
- ‘Would the feedback loop between polar bears and Arctic tundra result in a tundra of Neptunian frigidity where bears have fur ten feet thick, or a tundra of Brazilian sultriness where bears run nude?’
- ‘She had Venus in Pisces and Neptunian aspects to her Sun, Moon and Ascendant.’
- ‘The notch was real, she said, and she suggested a couple of interesting possibilities for what could create it, including the presence of ethane ice in the Neptunian clouds.’
- ‘As an aficionado of Mercury is its Neptunian guise, she enjoys exploring mythology and symbol as well as various meditations.’
historical Advocating Neptunism.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.