The drug pentobarbital sodium (see pentobarbital)
- ‘Druggers take whatever they have - Depronal, Valium, Nembutal, whatever - hoping they'll fall gently asleep and never wake up.’
- ‘Although she had taken enough Nembutal and chloral hydrate to kill 15 people, no trace of tablets was found in her stomach.’
- ‘I'm taking too much Nembutal for the sake of sleep.’
- ‘Six hours after administration the animals were anesthetized by Nembutal, and the dorsa of the mice were depilated using hair-removal cream (Vito, Dexon).’
- ‘He insists that her veins were swimming merrily with a drug called Nembutal, which would have made the superstar a teeny-weeny bit too unconscious to go about fiddling with those pesky tubes.’
1930s: from N(a) (symbol for sodium) + e(thyl), m(ethyl), but(yl), elements of the systematic name, + -al.