Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A member of any of the indigenous peoples of the Americas.
- ‘So what if it turns out that lots of other native Americans are not Native Americans either?’
- ‘It is also much more common in African and Native Americans than in Caucasians.’
- ‘Even as a teenager, she had felt drawn to work with African Americans and Native Americans.’
- ‘Five papers on Native Americans in North America comprise the next section of the volume.’
- ‘The second part focuses on the ways that Native Americans and Europeans adjusted to this new commerce.’
- ‘An ancient form of travel, snowshoeing dates back in North America to early Native Americans.’
- ‘How would Americans feel if the Native Americans expelled everybody else from California and established an Iriquois homeland?’
- ‘African Americans and Native Americans share a complicated and not always easy history.’
- ‘Prior to contact with European colonists, few Native Americans lived in urban settlements.’
- ‘He said one of the most memorable couples he had married were Native Americans, a Blackfoot groom and a Cherokee bride.’
- ‘The Committee is concerned that aboriginal rights of Native Americans may, in law, be extinguished by Congress.’
- ‘But what about the flood legends of the Native Americans and the Australian Aborigines?’
- ‘Accordingly, it is less common in African Americans, Native Americans, and Asian Americans.’
- ‘Maybe the Native Americans in central and South America should be allowed to sue Spain and Portugal?’
- ‘British and French settlers in the north-east forced the Native Americans inland, as did the Spanish in the south-west.’
- ‘Frontiersmen were taken with the extent to which Native Americans enjoyed freedom as individuals.’
- ‘It's a faded picture of four aging Native Americans at the turn of the century in their indigenous dress.’
- ‘Aboriginals and Native Americans both use fire to control the bush.’
- ‘The first genocide in modern history was committed by European immigrants on Native Americans.’
- ‘Similar laws are already in place for other Native Americans on the Canadian border, like the Mohawks.’
Relating to Native Americans.
- ‘Dome shaped windows are fringed with Native American dream catchers and swathes of bright orange or cream coloured curtains.’
- ‘What I didn't understand, however, was the generalization of Native American beliefs.’
- ‘Outside of the Roman Empire, St. Bernards were prominent in many Native American creation myths.’
- ‘I am a strong Native American man who wants to learn more about my culture and attend Native American sweat lodges.’
- ‘Many of our traditions are based on Native American traditions, and we have a strong orientation to take care of the Earth.’
- ‘There was concern that Native American students would not be able to gain access to the genetic education curriculum.’
- ‘I have tattoos on my arms and one of them is two Native American arrows, crossed over each other.’
- ‘Symbolically the Swastika is found all over the world - in Native American tribes, in Europe, in ancient India.’
- ‘I too, am Native American of the Cherokee tribe and I minored in Native American studies in college.’
- ‘Clark falls into a cave complete with Native American cave drawings.’
- ‘Thaw out with luxury pampering at the Spa at Sundance, which pays homage to Native American traditions.’
- ‘In South Dakota, Native American officials are suing for clarification of new election rules.’
- ‘Using ancient tribal patterns, Native American jewelry is both ornate and beautiful and loved by men and women.’
- ‘This exhibition celebrates the beauty, power, and symbolism of the tradition of Native American arts.’
- ‘She stated that she is of Native American background (Taino, from Puerto Rico).’
- ‘Apaches are making important contributions to Native American literature and the arts.’
- ‘Among them were crews of Navajo Scouts, Native American firefighters from Arizona.’
- ‘There is even one Native American language, Guarani, the language spoken by most Paraguayans.’
- ‘He specialised in representing Native American tribes, many of whom are now fabulously wealthy thanks to the casinos they are permitted to operate.’
- ‘Aside from here, the Lakota and Iroquois nations are represented as Native American countries.’
Native American is now an accepted term in many contexts. The term American Indian is also used widely and acceptably. See also American Indian
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.