One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a group of peoples native to southern Mexico and Central America, including the Aztecs.
- ‘Earth-boundedness in the symbology of the Nahuatl, the Mexican and central Indian tribes of which the Aztecs were one, contrasts with the spirituality the Virgin of Guadalupe represents.’
- ‘The Virgin appeared to a poor Indian and spoke to him in the only language he knew, not the conquerors' Spanish, but the native Nahuatl.’
- ‘The Aztecs had conquered the Nahuatl and perhaps had even sacrificed a few of Juan's relatives to the hungry gods.’
- ‘This subplot narrates the story of a book written in Latin by Hernando de Rivas, a Nahuatl, during his stay in the convent of Santa Cruz de Tlatelolco.’
- ‘The professors were a remarkable couple of Native American pastors, Lazaro Gonzalez, a Zapoteco from the State of Oaxaca, and his wife Olivia Dominguez, a Nahuatl from the State of Puebla.’
2The Uto-Aztecan language of the Nahuatl.
- ‘Marina was used to provide the missing link by translating the Nahuatl into Mayan.’
- ‘He also knows a few words of Nahuatl, the Aztec language.’
- ‘Chimalpahin wrote in an idiosyncratic Nahuatl not always found in colonial grammars and dictionaries or even in the writings of other Nahuas.’
- ‘Somewhat less familiar will be the author's insistence on including all the original Nahuatl and the additional remarks this sometimes requires.’
- ‘She commanded him-in his native Nahuatl to seek out the head of the Mexican church and ask that a chapel devoted to her be erected on Tepeyac.’
Relating to the Nahuatl or their language.
- ‘The narratives do not differ in any substantial manner but the style derived from the Nahuatl one is striking.’
- ‘An ocelot has eyes on its skin, but that is purely coincidental; the word comes from the Nahuatl word ocelotl, a jaguar.’
- ‘They therefore tried to enforce the use of the Nahuatl Indian name chilli, and were partially successful.’
- ‘Two sources, one Nahuatl and the other Spanish, provide the majority of the documentary extracts.’
- ‘Nandachare means ‘yellow river’ in the Nahuatl language.’
Via Spanish from Nahuatl.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.