One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A commercial city in east central Oklahoma, on the Arkansas River; population 40,099 (est. 2008).
1A member of a North American people of the southeastern US, who formed part of the Creek Indian confederacy.
- ‘It is not generally known, however, that the Muskogees of North Florida were the first major Indian community forcibly removed.’
- ‘As white encroachment became more and more aggressive, the Muskogees found themselves on the defensive.’
- ‘The Muskogees were defeated and according to custom the captured spoils were divided among the victors.’
- ‘The Miccosukees, theoretically, are more intransigent than the Muskogees in that they have never signed a treaty of peace with the United States.’
2The Muskogean language of the Muskogee.
- ‘With the help of a Creek student named James Perryman, Presbyterian minister John Fleming created a phonetic alphabet for Muskogee.’
Relating to the Muskogee or their language.
- ‘In a similar vein, a woman of Seminole and Muskogee heritage tells of establishing ‘photographic sovereignty’ by assuming ‘responsibility to reinterpret images of Native peoples’.’
From Creek ma:skó:ki.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.