Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The standard time in a zone including parts of the US and Canada in or near the Rocky Mountains.
- ‘A small part of Oregon is on Mountain time, and the Florida panhandle is on Central time, just one hour off.’
- ‘This is similar to much of Texas, which should (by longitude) be mostly in the Mountain time zone instead of the Central time zone.’
- ‘The footage would be deleted from telecasts in the Central and Mountain time zones, where the series airs one hour earlier than on the coasts and presumably is seen by younger viewers.’
- ‘And though they're not together physically, the way they keep in touch means they live almost on Mountain time, somewhere between Los Angeles and New York, Mandiberg said.’
- ‘The same line separates the Pacific and Mountain time zones - and Arizona doesn't observe Daylight Saving Time.’
- ‘Heading north on Mexico's Highway 200, I soon crossed from the Central into the Mountain time zone.’
- ‘The news came to FBI investigators 32 hours after he had checked himself into the West Virginia hospital, about 11:00 a.m. Mountain time, and it's a very welcome news for him.’
- ‘At 12:23 Mountain time, the results are as follows.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.