One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A long, loose-fitting, shapeless woman's dress or undergarment.
- ‘The end result was a basic design (referred to as a ‘Mother Hubbard’) which was simply a full, straight skirt attached to a yoke with a high neck and tight sleeves.’
- ‘Women in the Marshall Islands wear Mother Hubbards and think only prostitutes wear pants.’
- 1.1Canadian A long parka.
- ‘Women also sewed fabric, available from the trading posts, into a parka shell called a Mother Hubbard.’
- ‘The ‘Mother Hubbard’, another style of parka, with its deep ruffle, is common.’
So named from early illustrations of the nursery rhyme.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.