Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A day of the year (in the US, the second Sunday in May) on which mothers are honored by their children.
- ‘So I was surprised and moved to tears yesterday when he came home from school with a Mother's Day card for me.’
- ‘Try preaching a Mother's Day sermon after hearing that news two days before.’
- ‘Along with Mother's Day, Father's Day is a time to treasure one of the two most important people in all our lives.’
- ‘As Mother's Day comes around again, I realise my mum will always be a huge part of me.’
- ‘The initial reaction of any Indian is to scoff at the idea of Mother's Day, which is not as hyped as Valentine's Day.’
- ‘Her friend Margaret Earle was on a mission to buy a £99 tumble dryer for her mother for Mother's Day.’
- ‘This will be my fourth Mother's Day out here at Lake Natoma at the rowing championships.’
- ‘As Mother's Day approaches, Grace finds herself increasingly thinking about her mother.’
- ‘These days, it is rare I get to spend Mother's Day with my mum, who lives some 200 miles away in Edinburgh.’
- ‘The menu was a special one for Mother's Day, but the carvery is open every Sunday.’
- ‘Here's a timely reminder to all forgetful children to buy some flowers for your mum tomorrow - for Mother's Day.’
- ‘You see, in Jamaica, Father's Day is nowhere near as important as is Mother's Day.’
- ‘I can confidently say that this was probably the Best Mother's Day Ever.’
- ‘He also took advantage of the occasion to wish all mothers around the nation a happy Mother's Day.’
- ‘On Mother's Day there were more tears when although she had not heard from him in three weeks he sent her flowers.’
- ‘But a surprise bunch of flowers sent by Interflora International reduced her to tears on Mother's Day.’
- ‘A good Mother's Day is a day to do what you want to do - not what you have to do.’
- ‘And you do not need Mother's Day to do something special for your mother, or say something special to her.’
- ‘This will be a special Mother's Day concert and Tony and Mick and their band are sure to deliver a relaxing and most enjoyable show.’
- ‘Spare a thought this Mother's Day for one woman who will be hard at work.’
- ‘Next Sunday is Mother's Day, the only time we nationally pay homage to women for giving birth.’
Mother's Day/ˈməT͟Hərz ˌdā/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.