Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of a people now inhabiting parts of southeastern Burma (Myanmar) and western Thailand but having their ancient capital at Pegu in southern Burma.
- ‘Ethnic Burmese form the majority at 67.4%, and the remainder includes the Shans, Rakhines, Mons, Chins, Kachins and the Kayahs.’
- ‘He is scheduled to hold a joint meeting with leaders of minority groups including the Shans, Kayins, Mons and Rakhines later in the day at his hotel.’
- ‘Wars were fought with the ethnic Mons and Arkanese, and with the Siamese.’
- ‘The Mons and Burmans absorbed the Pyus and similarly Burmans and Shans and Burmans and Chinese and others mixed with each other and influenced the life-style of one another.’
- ‘Myanmar has eight major ethnic groups - Bamas, Kayins, Shans, Rakhines, Mons, Kachins, Chins and Kayahs.’
- ‘The original inhabitants of the region were the Mons, who may have been introduced to Theravda Buddhism in the early centuries by missionaries sent from India.’
- ‘Groups with their own states include the Karens, Chins, Shans, Kayahs, Arakanese, Mons, and Kachins.’
2The language of the Mon, related to Khmer (Cambodian)
- ‘Cambodian, or Khmer, is classified by linguists as an Austro-Asiatic language, related to Mon - a language spoken in Burma and western Thailand.’
- ‘The dominant Khmer language belongs to the Austroasiatic language family and is related to Vietnamese, Mon, and a number of other Asian languages.’
Relating to the Mon or their language.See also Mon-Khmer
- ‘Malay, Mon, and Khmer civilizations flourished in the region prior to the arrival of the ethnic Tai.’
- ‘Halted in its southward move by the Bay of Bengal and the Andaman Sea, Burmese encountered the Mon language.’
- ‘It documented accounts of 43 crimes against women from the Karen, Karenni, Mon, and Tavoyan groups as well as the Shans.’
- ‘This island is home to a community of Mon people who came here from their homeland in the river Kwai valley north of Kanchanaburi.’
- ‘Today the Mons have no independent political status and the Mon language is dying out.’
The name in Mon.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.