Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of an American Indian people formerly inhabiting eastern Connecticut.Compare with mahican
- ‘Occom led many Christian Mohegans away from Connecticut in 1785, to join with other Christian southern New England tribal members in exodus to Brotherton, New York.’
- ‘Uncas's actions were not dictated by the English, but by what Uncas, in a very calculating and clear-eyed manner, saw as necessary for the Mohegans to remain an independent entity.’
- ‘Queen Ann of England formed Queen Ann's Court and this court ruled in favor of the Mohegans.’
- ‘Mason, one of the founders of Norwich, and a force of Englishmen and Mohegans, are accused of burning down a Pequot village in 1637 during a war with the tribe.’
- ‘With the advent of war, Plymouth gained support from New England's other colonies and from Mohegans, Pequots, and many Christian Indians.’
2The Algonquian language of the Mohegan, closely related to Pequot.
Relating to the Mohegan or their language.
- ‘The athlete, a member of the Mohegan tribe, will throw the javelin, shot put and discus and run the 100-meter dash.’
- ‘Later, during King Philip's War, the colonists battled the Narragansetts with the aid of Mohegan fighters.’
- ‘The painted stylized stockade, believed to represent the boundaries of ancestral lands, for instance, is often found on Nipmuc and Mohegan baskets.’
- ‘I left the Dartmouth archive saturated with a sense of the tenuousness of Mohegan life in eighteenth-century New England.’
- ‘Signs provide park information and regulations in both English and Mohegan languages.’
From Mohegan, literally people of the tidal waters.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.