Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘We'd moved some chairs into the corner so we could fit the drum set, our guitars, amps, and mics.’
- ‘Dynamic mics use simpler, cheaper circuitry than condenser mics, which need a power supply and are more delicate, but provide a more subtle sound.’
- ‘You had to understand the acoustics of it, where to put certain instruments, what mics to use on them and how to place a microphone.’
- ‘We go to Sona and they let the men grab the mic, they never let us girls grab the mic.’
- ‘The stereo mic bar lets you mount both mics on one stand.’
- ‘For the 8-tracks, Botnick had two mics out in the hall, two vocal mics, two guitar mics, a bass mic and a drum track.’
- ‘The speaker stood up from the front row and his radio mic jumped out of his pocket as he climbed the steps to the podium.’
- ‘A roadie ran on with another mic so then I was holding two mics taped together and I wasn't really sure which one to sing into.’
- ‘The songs came fast and mostly furious, delivered with a tangible urgency, as if they're worried that their mics and amps would be shut off at any moment.’
- ‘Speaking of electric guitar amps, what mics do you rely on for them?’
- ‘We spent about $300 on rentals and put two mics into a DAT machine.’
- ‘They'll have host mics and a guest mic submix where there are 15 guest mics, but only three are used in a certain segment.’
- ‘Lavelier mics are small microphones usually no bigger than the tip of your little finger.’
- ‘Our tangle of wires and insulating tape enabled us to connect our mics and minidisc recorders to the satellite equipment and broadcast.’
- ‘At some point in their careers, most broadcasters have made an unguarded comment when the fader was open and the mic was live.’
- ‘We went to the back of Jem's trunk and helped unload the amps and guitars and mics and other supplies.’
- ‘An emcee is a microphone controller, so I held the mic and I controlled it.’
- ‘I used the preamp by itself with a variety of mics and it was remarkable.’
- ‘So for the next hour, we moved everyone 20 yards over and then reset the mics and the levels.’
- ‘They sat in a windowless room and a censor turned on their speakers and mics when he or she wanted them to listen or talk.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.