One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wine bottle of eight times the standard size.
- ‘But did you know that a methuselah is eight bottles worth or six litres of wine - referred to in Bordeaux as an imperiale?’
- ‘Last month, while hanging out in St Tropez, he reputedly spent $80,000 on four methuselahs of Cristal and that was after the Sultan of Brunei had given him a welcome to London present of 10.’
1930s: from Methuselah.
1(in the Bible) a patriarch, the grandfather of Noah, who is said to have lived for 969 years.
- 1.1 Used to refer to a very old person.‘I'm feeling older than Methuselah’
retired person, pensioner, old-age pensioner, oapView synonyms
- ‘I have shaved a Methuselah's beard of red fuzz over that little bathroom sink.’
- 1.1 Used to refer to a very old person.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.