Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A major division of the animal kingdom that comprises all animals other than protozoans and sponges. They are multicellular animals with differentiated tissues.
- ‘Not only Metazoa, but other multicellular clades such as Fungii and Metaphyta, must also be organized so that their basic body parts-differentiated cell types-are assembled into a hierarchy of functional associations.’
- ‘Now, based on the study with protein molecules, Fungi are regarded as the nearest-neighbor kingdom of the Metazoa, a conclusion which is supported by others.’
- ‘Belt desmosomes are the constituent character of the Epitheliazoa, the next higher taxon above the Porifera within the Metazoa, comprising the taxa Placozoa and Eumetazoa.’
- ‘However, their importance in elucidating the phylogeny of the Metazoa, particularly the arthropods, has recently increased interest in this group.’
- ‘After analyzing protein sequences from sponges, especially those which comprise receptors, it was established that all Metazoa, including Porifera, are of monophyletic origin.’
- 1.1Animals of the Metazoa division.
Modern Latin (plural), from meta- (expressing change) + zōia (plural of zōion animal).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.