One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or denoting the era between the Paleozoic and Cenozoic eras, comprising the Triassic, Jurassic, and Cretaceous periods.
The Mesozoic lasted from about 245 million to 65 million years ago. Large reptiles were dominant on land and sea throughout this time; vegetation had become abundant, and the first mammals, birds, and flowering plants appeared
- ‘Changes in Mesozoic and Cenozoic thicknesses and facies across the northsouth faults indicate their pre-collisional origins.’
- ‘The Triassic Period is the first geological period of the Mesozoic era or ‘Age of Reptiles’.’
- ‘These are accompanied by much smaller sets of petrographic thin sections from Mesozoic and Cenozoic carbonate strata.’
- ‘A variety of Mesozoic and Cenozoic conifers, including Pagiophyllum, Sequoia, and Metasequoia are available for you to study.’
- ‘In later Palaeozoic, Mesozoic, and Cenozoic sequences they can be extremely abundant.’
- ‘Mafic dike suites within Mesozoic igneous provinces of New England and Atlantic Canada.’
- ‘A similar inter-relationship between strikeslip faulting and plutonism was suggested for the Mesozoic batholith of California.’
- ‘Upper Permian to Triassic Megacycle (onset of rifling in the Mesozoic Iberian basin).’
- ‘In general these rift basins are poorly exposed and form low-relief areas surrounded by rugged hills composed predominantly of Precambrian to Mesozoic rocks.’
- ‘Fossiliferous, shallow-marine, Mesozoic and Cenozoic deposits are abundant in Japan.’
- ‘This requires the removal of 80-100 km of Archaean lithosphere since Mesozoic time.’
- ‘The tectonic superimpositions of Cretaceous back reef carbonate deposits on older Mesozoic back reef carbonate rock are visible from Monte Faito to Agerola.’
- ‘It is underlain by continental crust (a Mesozoic nappe stack).’
- ‘We believe that many Mesozoic and Cenozoic obducted ophiolite belts of SE Asia are fragments of fore-arc or back-arc lithosphere.’
- ‘The pre-Andean and Andean orogenies are separated by a Mesozoic transitional period, which is marked by a very different style of tectonism and magmatism.’
- ‘The date assigned to the strata was, of course, Mesozoic, namely Cretaceous.’
- ‘Thus with the water drained from the land, the subsequent volcanic activity in the Mesozoic and Cainozoic would be sub-aerial.’
- ‘The offshore stratigraphy contains several westward-prograding units of Cenozoic age that drape across the buried Mesozoic rift shoulder faults.’
- ‘Thus uplift and exhumation of metamorphic basement rocks and ductile thrust fabrics in Karlik Tagh are a combination of Mesozoic and Cenozoic thrusting and erosion.’
- ‘In contrast to the Mesozoic examples, Cenozoic fossil beds usually contain common to abundant shell fragments.’
- 1.1as noun the Mesozoic The Mesozoic era or the system of rocks deposited during it.
Mid 19th century: from meso- ‘intermediate’ + Greek zōion ‘animal’ (referring to the appearance of the first mammals) + -ic.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.